It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 16:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: R&D Information...?
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2008, 22:18 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Heya all...

I'm wanting to start an Engineering thread for compiling information with any Technical Material that Does/Could deal with The First Era Technology. Any sites, books, information that's being worked on, etc...Anything that we might be able to use as a background for the technology that we use in TFE!

Now don't get me wrong: I know that there are a lot of sites out there with 'questionable' material (rather the information be non-cannon or just plain off-the-wall in nature). And I'm not saying that we should accept any and every particular piece of information that's outright posted.

I'm just looking for somewhere that (IF the logging Engineers of TFE want the opportunity) we can discuss the information, (if there's a Starfleet Corps of Engineers re-established: see Here for further details) we can possibly get some sort of help in evaluation of the material, and eventually use that info as a background for our writing. (I don't know about any of you, but I'm not an ACTUAL Engineer in RL, so...)

Since I'm starting the thread, I'll throw the first piece of topic info out there for discussion. In case anyone isn't already familiar with This site, it's got some excellent pics. BUT it does have some questionable aspects in the design vs. what-was-Cannon-with-the-TV-show aspect (which I'll admit that the author of the site/pics does try to address Here ).

SO Engineers (and interested parties): Reference point? Not? Springboard for possibilities? Don't care One Way or Another?

And if anyone has any other Sites/Books/Etc to suggest, PLEASE feel free to do so (I know that I'm certainly on the lookout for new reference material).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid."
- Heinrich Heine

Post subject: Re: R&D Information...?
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 20:25 
 YIM  Profile

I stumbled across the above site myself and was extremely impressed with the effort and images. I believe I was trying to verify what deck the main computer core was on and having a hard time placing it based on our current SIM Guide at the Academy.

There are some differences between these specs and what we had in our SIM Guide, but not having actually watched much of the Enterprise series (yes, I admit, I'm just an Enterprise nerd, not an Enterprise geek ;) ) I'm not sure what differences, if any, deserve to be labeled as critically important to worry about.

I'm usually more worried that anything we write as engineers is at least physically believable.

PO1 Kalevah Dinaa - New Darwin Corpsman

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 19:19 

I built an engineer's guide for TFE in MS Word. I can send it to anyone who would like a copy.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 23:52 

Heck, you can attach it to a post and we can take a look at our leisure...